Friday, June 19, 2015

Jesus Changes Everything

I have brothers and sisters who were tragically killed on Wednesday night. I don’t personally know the believers who were gunned down in midst of their Bible study and prayer time at the Emanuel Church in Charleston. But I know they were brothers and sisters in Christ. I know this because they were doing exactly the same thing I was doing on Wednesday night - gathering with fellow believers to pray and seek God.

My heart is so sad for the families and members of this church. According to news reports, they were studying the Gospel of Mark that night. I don’t know the specific passage they were looking at, but two of the most life-changing statements ever spoken by Jesus are recorded in the very first chapter of Mark (vss. 15-17):

“Repent and believe.”
“Come, follow Me.”

The truth and hope for all of us rest in those two commands.

I’ve heard a lot of discussion and political commentary since Wednesday night. There have also been expressions of anger, sadness, and despair. We as a nation are trying to sort out this latest tragedy - and we are beginning to recognize the seriousness of the threat from within.

There is legitimacy in debate. But friends, we are at a crisis point. We are rapidly imploding on several levels. Ultimately, there is no real answer to be reached through endless discussions.

What we need is a RESET to Jesus. Period.

Repent and believe. Come, follow Me. 

Last weekend I was in Washington, D.C., gathered at the foot of the Washington Monument with 5,000 other followers of Christ. We were there to launch a movement - a year-long initiative - to invite our nation to RESET everything to Jesus. By next summer, we’re praying those numbers will grow to more than a million people who will gather on the Mall to lift up Jesus. He is our only agenda.

My hope is that God might grant us a Third Great Awakening in the coming months. I pray toward that end with this one thought in mind: Jesus changes everything.


#JesusChangesEverything

No comments:

Post a Comment